Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Beef Steak Marinade & Zesty Steak Sauce


I was looking for a steak marinade recently and came across this recipe on All Recipes which called itself "The Best Steak Marinade". 

I was skeptical at this bold claim, but then, I got intrigued by one of the reviews:  "I wept with joy at the first bite. Do you know how hard it is to eat and cry at the same time? Yet, I pressed on. After that, I wept with sorrow, because there would be a last bite."

I thought this reviewer might be a little melodramatic but in any case, it's worth trying this recipe out.

My verdict?  This recipe is indeed very good, even though I did not weep - sorry, I'm just not prone to weeping while eating.  I've had a few good steak in my lifetime so I'm not sure this is "The Best" but it is certainly "One of the Best" I've had.

Enjoy the last few days of summer and try this recipe at your next BBQ!

A few other tips: 
  1. You don't need to break the bank to cook steak.  Read this very funny article by Jaden Hair of Steamy Kitchen on "How to turn Cheap Choice Steak into Gucci Prime Steaks" ... as she put it, "Do you know the joy of buying Choice and eating Prime? It’s like buying a Hyundai and getting a free mail-in rebate for a BMW upgrade!!!"
  2. Marinade overnight.  I guarantee you that all the goodness of the marinade will be infused into the beef and you might very well have someone weeping at your next BBQ!
  3. Pair with a zesty home-made steak sauce.  No bottled A1 sauce, please. I've included a recipe below that my friend, David, shared with me a long time ago. It's a sure winner.
"One of the Best" Steak Marinade - From this recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: If you have rosemary or other herbs, add some as well. If not, don't sweat it. It'll be fine.
Instructions:   

Mix all ingredients. Makes 1 cup. 

Note: I doubled the recipe to marinade 4 lbs of beef (London Broil) and it was just the right amount.

Zesty Steak Sauce 
Ingredients:
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped up
  • Olive Oil
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt & Pepper
Instructions:
  1. Add diced tomatoes and cilantro into a food processor and process/pulse it for a few minutes.
  2. Add generous amounts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pulse further to mix well.
  3. Finally, add salt (around 1/2-1 tsp) and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment